In this episode, Antony Lo - aka The Physio Detective - talk about Avoiding The "Guru-Trap" in fitness, & Increasing Trust In Yourself. Basically, ways to approach "being an expert" or "seeking expertise" in a more grounded, lower pressure way.
Fear of getting it wrong, or the pressure to get it all right are ruining fitness for both fitness trainers and fitness enthusiasts alike. Many of whom are trapped in black and white thinking, seeking "the right way" to do things, best way to move etc, which is often compounded by a top-down "doctor knows best" attitude from the fitness world.
Let's stop it. Instead, use principles (and a big picture) to guide, not recipes and dogma to follow to the T.
What You Will Learn:
- 0:00 Introduction
- 01:06 Tell us a little about your free series called Guru to Guide
- 04:00 Pressure to have all the right answers
- 09:23 How to help people stop fearing "not knowing"
- 16:04 Language, and how it can be used to bolster body trust
- 23:41 Another way to trust your body
- 31:41 How far is too far (in the opposite direction) and what's a better way to think about coaching people
- 47:56 The unrealistic expectations of Manual Handling training for nurses
- 52:07 Blaming the person for their injury *eye roll*
- 53:17 How to be better "equipped" as a fitness trainer or fitness enthusiast and final words of wisdom from Antony
About Antony Lo:
Antony Lo is The Physio Detective and owner of My PT Education. He has been working at the junction of Musculoskeletal, Sports Rehab and Performance, and Women’s Health for his whole career. He has
experience participating and coaching a range of sports and has been a consultant for a number of
different types of elite sports athletes of all ages and various sports.
Antony’s passion is working in a way that combines his experience in coaching, education, and being a
Physiotherapist, combining the knowledge from the fields of Physiotherapy, Strength and Conditioning,
Business, Psychology, and the Arts and Sciences to provide a practical, realistic, holistic model of care
balancing the biopsychosocial model of healthcare with the best of historical assessment and management approaches.
He is privileged to teach health and fitness professionals around the world in person and online in addition to his clinical work. Antony has a wife and 3 beautiful children in the best city in the world Sydney, Australia!
Never Miss an Episode!
Enter your email and get notified when a new episode is released: